Guide to Work, Study, Travel and Living Abroad on on on Google+  
  Work Abroad Teaching Abroad: K-12 and University Best Teaching Abroad Programs and Organizations
Work Abroad

Best Teaching Abroad Programs and Organizations

Teachers with K-12 certification have a wide range of options for teaching abroad. The types of schools can be viewed in terms of the amount of integration into the host culture that the teacher is likely to experience. The following are listed in an order that proceeds from culturally less-integrated to more-integrated settings. William Nolting
The International Educator (TIE)
International Career Opportunities
The International Educator (TIE) is a private nonprofit organization dedicated to serving International Schools all over the world by helping them find qualified teachers. TIE links thousands of English-speaking teachers to worldwide opportunities in over 400 American Overseas and International Schools around the world. TIE does this through a comprehensive online service and a newspaper issued 5 times throughout the year.

Salaries and savings opportunities vary, but most schools provide travel, rental and health care benefits. Please visit our website to explore these opportunities.

The international Educator (TIE) Contact: The International Educator (TIE), PO Box 513, Cummaquid, MA 02637 USA.
Tel.: 508-790-1990; Toll Free (USA): 1- 877-375-6668. Fax: 508-790-1922.
Cost: Annual Website subscription Cost: $39/year. Annual Website PLUS Newspaper Cost: $49/year
Dates: Year-Round

Au Pair in New Zealand
As an Au Pair in New Zealand, not only will you have the chance to live with a Host Family and experience the sense of wonder and adventure which has made us famous around the globe—you will also have the opportunity to work in a rewarding childcare position, gaining invaluable experience on a programme which is recognized all around the world!

Receive a weekly wage, free room and board and once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work in a world-leading early childhood educational curriculum… We have wonderful, loving families across New Zealand (all are screened and interviewed), so you are guaranteed a placement that suits you!

Au Pair Link Dates: 6 – 12 month placement terms available.
Au Pair Link provides a flight package for Au Pairs arriving to New Zealand
Contact: Au Pair Link, Ground Floor, 7 Falcon St, Parnell, Auckland 1052, NEW ZEALAND

Teaching K-12

Department of Defense Schools

Located at military bases in countries around the world, DOD schools employ around many U.S. citizens. The teaching environment is roughly similar to that of U.S. public schools. Contact with host-country nationals is relatively limited.

Private International Schools

The U.S. Dept. of State offers a list of websites offering teaching jobs overseas.

Friends of World Teaching. Lists English-language K-12 schools in over 100 countries. Teacher usually pays airfare; housing, stipend and/or health insurance may be provided depending on country. Most positions are salaried. Applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree and be able to demonstrate teaching ability.

Volunteer Organizations

Despite the name, most volunteer placements, if long term (two years), usually cover expenses and provide a stipend. Options range from the government-sponsored Peace Corps to religious organizations (from non-proselytizing to traditional missionaries).

Unlike private schools, pupils in these schools will be the children of ordinary people from the host country. Visit the Peace Corps website. Contact religious organizations directly; some recruit at the teaching abroad fairs already mentioned.

Fulbright Teacher Exchange (K-12 and Community Colleges)

This program is unique in two respects: it is a one-for-one exchange of teachers between schools, and teachers are fully integrated into regular host-country schools. Applicants must currently have a full-time teaching or administrative position. Application deadline is in October for the following academic year. Contact: Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program, U.S. Information Agency, 600 Maryland Ave. SW, Room 235, Washington, DC 20024-2520; 800-726-0479.

University Teaching

Nearly all university positions require a PhD (or at least “ABD”) or other terminal professional degree.

Teaching for Study Abroad Programs

This is generally a tough market since U.S.-sponsored programs tend to use home-campus faculty or hire local professors. One organization sometimes hires resident directors (802-258-3114) and also publishes resource lists on teaching and internship opportunities abroad: School for International Training..


Information on Fulbright grants to support an academic year of teaching in an overseas university is available from the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES). Grants also available for international education administrators.

Special Placement Programs

Colorado China Council. Graduates and others from the U.S. are placed as teachers at institutes throughout China, including Mongolia, for six or 11 months. Administrative fee for recent graduates. CCC offers placements in universities in the People’s Republic of China, especially in English, TESL, journalism, business, sciences, and engineering.

Regular Faculty Positions

See such standard academic job listings as those in the Chronicle of Higher Education or the Guardian (U.K.), found in most university libraries.

  About Us   Submit an Article   ©Transitons Abroad 1995-2015
  Contact Us   Student Travel Writing Contest   Privacy
  Archives   Narrative Travel Writing Contest   Terms of Service
  Advertise   Expatriate and Work Abroad Writing Contest  
  Add Programs    
Join Our Email List