Guide to Work, Study, Travel and Living Abroad on on on Google+  
  Work Abroad Work Abroad Resources Short-Term Paid Work and Internships Abroad
Work Abroad

Short-Term Paid Work and Internships Abroad

Internships Abroad

Key to Resources Compiled and Edited by William Nolting
must-have resources
of broad interest
  specialized interest

U.S. citizens need work permits to work legally in other countries. The officially-recognized work exchange programs listed here may be able to help. See American-Scandinavian, AIPT / IAESTE, BUNAC, and CIEE.

Web Editor's Note: See many more Short-Term Work articles and websites in's Short-Term Jobs section.


American-Scandinavian Foundation. Website lists both study and work programs. Nonprofit organization offers paid internships in Scandinavia in engineering, teaching English as a foreign language, business, and agricultural fields. Apply for internships by late Dec. Fee $50. ASF also assists with obtaining work permits for Scandinavia.


IAESTE. Nonprofit organization provides paid internships in over 80 countries in engineering and science (apply by late Dec.). They can also assist in obtaining work permits for career-related practical training in most fields for both students and college graduates.

  The British Council: Education in the U.K. Official information from the British government on work regulations and work-exchange programs while studying in Britain.

BUNAC Work Abroad Programs, [for working in Australia (18-30), Canada (18-30), France (18-35), Ireland (18+), New Zealand (18-35), and volunteering in Cambodia (18+), Peru (18+), and South Africa (18+)]. Contact; Work and volunteer abroad organization provides a work permit and job-hunting assistance. U.S. college students and recent graduates (within 1 semester) eligible for internships in Britain. Also has programs for those who live in the UK or live in neither the UK nor the USA.


CEI - Club des 4 vents—Work in France Program. See information on this Paris-based organization online at Up to 4-month internships or short-term work in France. Can also include French lessons if needed. Company can provide placement for a fee or you can find your own.


CIEE Work Abroad Programs. Application from CIEE Work Abroad:, Nonprofit organization provides a work permit and job-hunting assistance in Australia, Canada, Ireland, and New Zealand, and teaching in China and Thailand. Program fees depending on the country. Some programs require student status.


French Cultural Services: Employment in France for Students. Official information on study and work in France from the French government. Administers placement programs: Teaching Assistant and Internship in France.


InterExchange offers work and volunteer programs for U.S. & Canadian citizens in 20 countries, including Au Pair, Teach English, Volunteer and Work & Travel programs through InterExchange Working Abroad. For non-U.S. or Canadian citizens, InterExchange offers several inbound cultural exchange programs, including sponsorship and support services for international interns and trainees hosted by U.S. businesses; au pair placements across the United States; U.S. summer camp jobs; and work and travel programs in the U.S. Visit the website for more information.


International Cooperative Education Program. Organization offers paid summer internships for students with knowledge of foreign languages (German, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese) in Europe, Asia, and South America. U.S. or Canadian citizens preferred. Apply by February.


LEAPNOW: Transforming Education. LEAPNOW offers fee-based group and individual programs bringing together academic credit, strong intentional focus on personal evolution, and a database of 6,000+ ways to travel, study, and work in countries around the world for ages 17-22.

Work Your Way Around the World
Work Your Way Around the World by Susan Griffith. The authoritative (and only) guide to looking for short-term jobs while abroad, by the Work Abroad editor for Transitions Abroad. Extensive country-by-country narratives include firsthand reports.

William Nolting is an International Center Assistant Director, Education Abroad of the University of Michigan and former Work Abroad and International Educational Editor for Transitions Abroad.

  About Us   Submit an Article   ©Transitons Abroad 1995-2015
  Contact Us   Student Travel Writing Contest   Privacy
  Archives   Narrative Travel Writing Contest   Terms of Service
  Advertise   Expatriate and Work Abroad Writing Contest  
  Add Programs    
Join Our Email List